Friday, April 09, 2010

YOUR CAREER... and loving it! I CHOSE Graphic Design and love it!

I'm sure everyone has their doubts or ideas in their head about what they are doing for a living. Remember the old saying - Do what you love and it wont feel like work. I can honestly say that is what I did when I chose my career path. I'm grateful that I had an idea in my head of what I would enjoy doing and what I would be good at [Graphic Designer in Phoenix, AZ].

Of course I have many different things I enjoy that I could have chosen to do for a career. Just to list a few: Pilot, Archaeologist, Teacher, Professional Singer, Architect, and a Hair Dresser. I bet there are a few more but these are the main ones that I've thought about or remembered today.

I have been lucky enough to be able to do many of these things along with my professional graphic design career. I had 5+ little brothers growing up so I was able to teach them all kinds of things. I also make a lot of graphic design tutorials for friends, family, and even this blog. I really do enjoy helping other people and making them feel good. I suppose that is why I am filled with jokes too, I'm always trying to make people laugh and feel happy. I can be serious when you need me to be but for the most part I'm laid back and silly most of the time. Maybe sometimes that burns me because I don't get taken seriously, but it's who I am and I cannot change the way my heart thinks. I think I would prefer people to love me for the way that I am, a friendly outgoing girl.

You might not know this little fact about me but I have actually taken flight lessons. Truth to be told I've always had a high interested in flying, travel, and airplanes. My Mother worked for the airline business and I really thought it was interesting. I've also flown as a passenger A LOT, starting when I was in kindergarden I was a frequent flyer [Perks of a family member working for the airlines]. So, when I saw the opportunity to win a chance to get free flight training I jumped right to it! I wrote my essay and I was picked! I got all of the books, tools, and even a flight simulator computer program. It is one of the best feelings in the world to take off on a plane, pushing that throttle in and you're up in the air! Whoo! I ended up not choosing this as my career for safety reasons but I am lucky I got to live one of my dreams/goals. I wish I had some photos, but that was before the digital camera era and flight lessons were taken early in the morning [My family was still asleep, haha].

I've also had my fun run-ins with cutting hair. I've cut my friend's hair from time to time and it always turns out nice. I guess that is the artist/sculpture soul I have. You need to have an eye for things like that, and I defiantly have it.  I've even had the opportunity to cut long hair into a short pixie cut [Note: Her Mother was right there and said it was ok]. Lucky for everyone - It actually turned out really cute, I was very proud. I've also had a go with cutting my own hair, I'll do it from time to time [No Joke!]. The back is a little hard to do but I lean back and snip away. Plus, when I do go to the salon I bring photos - I know what I want and what looks good. I could see myself cutting hair as a profession, it sounds like it would be something I would be good at. 

More interesting Heather facts you are going to learn with this post. I really enjoy singing and that was something I wanted to do since I was little. I was maybe too shy to admit it when I was younger but around high school I really took the reins of that covered wagon! I was in choir class after choir class in high school landing lead vocal solos and even getting picked for festivals/events. I am actually a really good vocalist and if I had the opportunity to sing and perform for a living I would do it in a heartbeat. I think it would be a dream come true to work on a Walt Disney cruise ship doing performances. Believe me, I've looked into it and thought really hard about it. Fact #2 of this paragraph: I've also taken 18 years of dance classes [Including Ballet, Jazz, Tap, and Modern].  I'm really an all around artsy girl if you think about it: I can Paint, Draw, Sculpt, Sing, Dance, and who knows what else. Haha! I've even auditioned for 2008 American Idol [What an experience]. Hear Heather Kant Sing >>

Architecture and Archeology are the only two things out of that list I haven't had the opportunity to work on or try. I think Architecture has a lot to do with an eye for design/creativity and mathematics and I'm really superb with those things. :)

There is still time! You never know what you might end up doing!

So... what do you love? Are you doing something that you love? I know I am and I'm very grateful! 

Even when I'm at a job that isn't my "chosen path" I like to be the very best at what I do. An example of that would be the fastest scanner at Kmart or making sure the email special I design not only works but I take the extra time to make sure it looks beautiful.  I think attitude has a lot to do with how well your work reflects on you too, I always try to keep a good upbeat attitude and it makes everything better/easier. I'm not kidding, I've received awards and wonderful comments on my good attitude. That is how I roll and I'm proud of it!

No comments: