Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Back in Black... I mean Gap... New Gap Logo?


Well... It looks like this was the week to have people thunderstruck by new logo design.  First it was myspace and now GAP? What a hoot! I feel like I need to keep my eyes peeled for more random logo updates. Also makes me feel like I should spice up my professional logo as well. I was doing a little thumb-nailing this evening and I thought I'd share my #1 pick with you.


What do you think? Isn't it epic? I'm kind of hypnotized by the blue hues I used for the gradient and the deep charcoal black I used for text.  I'm sorry but look at that solid typography. I'm kind of excited to take down the palm trees and replace them with this blue box motif. People are going to look at my logo and website and drop their jaw to the ground in aww!

Haha! Lets get real people! I just puked in my mouth trying to think of nice things to say about this new design update that GAP made to their logo. 

After a long discussion among my design peers, we came to an unanimous decision that the new GAP Logo is a scam!  It's a scam to get free press and free graphic design. Look, they even have me blogging about it [free press] - Ridiculous! Even the New York Times has an article on this logo [free press]. There are already websites set up to upload new design concepts [free graphic design]. Was it on the news [free press]?? 

"THE LOGO THAT TOOK THE WORLD BY STORM"... That is just too funny!

If GAP was "serious" about that horrible logo they posted they wouldn't have just put it up on their site for a minute and taken it down. Also, you would think they would have printed all of the marketing materials out too! Just a thought, I could be wrong though.

If this was a true logo design I do feel bad for the designer who did it. I send my condolences to the death of their design career. That would be one horrible week that no ice cream or chocolate cake could repair - or numerous shots of tequila. What a doozie! The night would go something like this when they got home from work:

"Honey, I'm home... I'm gunna need a spoon, a bottle of vodka and/or tequila, a bucket of phish food ice cream, a chocolate cake, and a shot glass - forget the shot glass.  OH, AND A BAG OF FUNYUNS! - Make that two bags."

What will we see next? Maybe Wells Fargo logo with a boat icon in it? One can only hope and dream.

Here are some awesome GAP Logo links for you to enjoy:

New York Times Article

Reguarding the issue of GAP, I thought I would include a photo I recently took at the GAP OUTLET in Anthem, Arizona.

No comments: